Saturday, December 23, 2017

A Gift NOT Under My Tree

Every year, there are lots of presents under the Christmas tree...wrapped up in pretty paper... tied with ribbons and bows.  As Christmas approaches, I miss my Mom and Dad even more.  I'm reminded of two precious gifts that you can't place under the tree.  One is the gift of the Baby Jesus and what He offers to each of us...if we will just reach out and take the gift. 
Another gift was one that I received just days before my sweet Mother passed. 

We had been at Hospice for days, and they were keeping Mom out of it and comfortable.  It was a long emotional time for us all...and we were ALL there the whole time.  On this particular day, the doctors met with us to tell us what to expect with Mom.  After we talked with them, I quietly made my way back to Mom's room.  No one else was in the room with her at the time, which was rare.  As I leaned in to Mom to whisper in her ear, she opened her eyes.  As I talked with her about how she would be going home soon and meeting Jesus, she smiled and gasped every time I said, "Won't that be wonderful!"  These gasps were actually happy gasps!  At first, I thought it was a coincidence, but it happened EVERY time I said it!  I told her that she would just be going on ahead of us but we would be along later when it was our time, and that we would take care of Daddy.  For her to open her eyes and make happy gasps after days of no interaction on her part was the greatest gift (second to Christ's gift to me) that I've ever received!
My Daddy has since gone on to meet Jesus and be reunited with Mom again.  After Mom passed, Daddy and I had quite a bit of time together that I will treasure forever!  That memory of Mom is locked away in my heart...and when I'm missing her, I pull it out and reopen that precious gift.  While I appreciate the gifts that I receive for Christmas and my birthday, this gift that isn't wrapped in fancy paper or tied up with ribbons and bows, will be at the top of my list of best gifts that I've ever received. 
Thank you, Momma!
Merry Christmas, Friends!
And
Christmas Cottage Blessings,
 

6 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas!I am glad I stopped by...Hugs,Maristella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! Merry Christmas to you!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. The holidays have such deep meaning. I miss my Dad so much at this time of year. We have recently moved my Mom in with us so I can care for her. It's wonderful to have her here this Christmas and not so far away. Praying you have a blessed Christmas Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard when a parent or both aren't here anymore. So glad you have your Mom with you! God bless you, Sonia! I hope you have the merriest of Christmases!!!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post! It brought tears to my eyes. It reminded me of the last time I saw my grandfather who was in end stage Alzheimers. At the end of the visit I said my usual "I love you Papa." He looked at me for a moment and said "I love you too Laura." He had not known me for a good two years and this was a shock. It would be the last time I would see him and I still treasure the moment. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a most precious gift to treasure forever! Merry Christmas to you! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

I LOVE blog visitors, so please leave me a message so I know you were here! I'll come visit you, as well! Chippy White Cottage Blessings, Rebecca